With your host, Don Lancaster !
Welcome to the online home of Fishing Tidewater! After providing fishing reports and other information of interest to anglers and sportsman of Hampton Roads and the surrounding area via newspaper, magazine and radio, I am very excited to now be accessible to my audience on the internet! Our fishing reports cover the Tidewater, Hampton Roads, Peninsula and Middle Peninsulas, and the Northern Neck areas of Virginia.
For those who have not heard, Fishing Tidewater is a weekly radio show that airs on WHKT - 1650 AM. The show runs from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. every Saturday morning.
Should you not be within range of the Chesapeake, VA station's signal, you can join many others of our audience by "tuning in" via live interent stream. Simply click the media player provided at the station link above. Should you like to join us live via phone, the station's call-in number is (757)454-1650.
Fishing Tidewater provides Tidewater and surrounding area fishing reports that are utilized by two area publications.In addition to the Freshwater and Saltwater reports found here on our site, The Daily Press newspaper in Newport News, VA publishes my reports weekly. The Chesapeake Angler monthly magazine features Fishing Tidewater reports as well.
About Your Host
I'm Don Lancaster, creator of Fishing Tidewater. I appreciate you taking time to share part of your life with me!
For those who don't know me, I'd like to share a little about myself, hoping this gives you a better idea of what led us to meeting here. I'd also to thank you in advance for taking time to visit our sponsors from our Links page.
- Military Game Warden in Massachusetts, Maine and Alaska from 1958 through 1966 (Vietnam). Graduated from the National School of Conservation in 1970.
- Attended William Carey College, Hattiesburg, MS., graduating in Aug. 1974. (Military bootstrap program - completed 4 yrs in a 2 yr program, graduating Cum Laude.)
- Selected as outdoor journalist, covering U.S. Navy and U.S. Army Professional Anglers in National Championships. Provided coverage to the Navy Times, Air Force Times and Army Times newspapers.
- Retired U.S. Army (CW4), 1979
- Professional Bass Angler 1979-1982; one of the founders of the Military Bass Anglers Assn. Tournament Circuit. Accomplished promotional activities for Minn-Kota Electric Motors, Pro-Craft Bass Boats, Crème Lures (AAA Field tester), Stren Monofilament Fishing Line, Bass Buster Lures and Shakespeare Fishing (AAA Field Tester). Conducted in-store promotions demonstrating various lures and equipment; spoke to fishing clubs, civic groups and youth groups concerning fishing and the environment.
- Housing Manager at Ft. Eustis (civilian contractor), 1982-1985. Don Lancaster
- Senior Logistical Engineering Analyst, Newport News shipbuilding, 1985-1998, retired.
- Wrote "Denbigh Woods and Waters" column for the local Denbigh Gazette newspaper for 10 years.
- Operated “Chickahominy River Bass and Crappie Guide Service” for 12 years.
- Accepted "free lance" position with the Daily Press newspaper, Newport News, Va., in 1995. Compiling fishing information from 26 fresh and salt-water reporting stations for a weekly column.
- Part time schoolteacher at Gildersleeve Middle School in Newport News, Virginia. Also teach fishing related classes, upon request, to local schools, Boy Scout groups, and sporting groups.
- I write a monthly column on local fishing news in local waters (Fishing Tidewater) for The Chesapeake Angler Magazine, published in Burgess, VA.
- Host a two-hour, live radio fishing show on from 7 – 9 AM on Saturday mornings on station WHKT - 1650 AM. Broadcasting live remote programs from advertisers and local businesses. In the past, I have conducted a 12-week fresh water fishing class for the adult continuing education classes for the city of Newport News.
- Each year I speak to students at Career Days, at various local schools concerning my Fishing Tidewater radio program, and my fishing column in the newspaper and magazine.
- I have conducted fishing seminars for the Peninsula Saltwater Sport Fisherman’s Association general membership meetings; at Bass Pro Shop in Hampton, Va.; at Queens Creek Outfitters in Cobbs Creek, Va., at Oceans East II Bait and Tackle in Virginia Beach, and at various Coastal Conservation Association functions.
- Act as the Master of Ceremonies for Spring and Fall Fishing Classic events at Bass Pro Shops in Hampton, VA.